Visual Perception and Its Impact on Learning: Strategies and Resources
Did you know that 80% of all learning in a school setting is acquired through vision? There is a rise of focus and attention issues in the classroom that can be related to visual issues. Unfortunately if children are having difficulty using their eyes, they will often give up or work twice as hard as other children causing increased frustration and a lack of motivation. Children are often misdiagnosed with attention deficits without taking a good look at possible visual insufficiencies. This 2-hour webinar includes easy-to-understand explanations of the visual system, lots of FREE resources. This course is included with the Pediatric OT Webinar Package.
- Recognize the impact of vision on reading and writing.
- Differentiate Vision Therapy vs. Occupational Therapy.
- List options for visual screenings.
- Identify the primary components of the visual system.
- List strategies and exercises that can be done at home, therapy, or classroom.
- Target Audience: beginning- to intermediate-level occupational therapists, teachers, and parents
- Course Instructor: Kim Wiggins, OTR/L
- View Agenda
- CE Broker course code: 20-563621
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
||Sensational Brain LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Approved Provider #8215. The course is approved for 0.2 AOTA CEU or two contact hours under this Classification Code: Category 1, Domain of OT: Performance Skills. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Kim Wiggins, OTR/L, is an experienced occupational therapist specializing in the treatment of children since 2001. She is a full-time therapist at a City School District in upstate New York, owner of www.OTKimWiggins.com, and has been a nationally known speaker since 2011. Kim is certified in Mobile Devices for Children with Disabilities, Puzzle Art Therapy, Handwriting Without Tears, Zaner Bloser, The Size Matters Handwriting Program, The Listening Program, and as an Irlen Screener. To view Kim’s courses, check out her product page.
- Financial: Kim Wiggins receives a speaking fee from Sensational Brain LLC and is the owner of OTKimWiggins LLC. Kim is an affiliate for these companies and receives a percentage of profits from her referrals for these webinars:
- Double Time Docs (https://www.doubletimedocs.com): A Collaboration Sensation and Get It Done! OT documentation
- Move Thrive Play (https://www.moveplaythrive.com): Primitive Reflexes
- SpedNotes (a free program until August 2020, https://www.spednote.com/): Get It Done! OT documentation and Writing IEP Goals
- Nonfinancial: No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.