Sensory AND Behavior: A Comprehensive Approach to Addressing Challenging Behaviors
- Tuesday, February 11, 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM CST
- Location: Braun Education Center, 6020 W. 151st Street, Oak Forest, IL 60452
- Registration: Southwest Cook County Cooperative Association For Special Education: Learning Links
In this innovative course, Gwen guides you through the neurochemicals involved in sensory modulation; the correlation between related disorders such as Bipolar, anxiety, ADHD, and Autism; and introduces you to a whole-brain approach for addressing difficult behaviors (such as self-injurious behaviors, aggression, meltdowns, toilet training, picky eating, and masturbation) from a wholistic perspective. This seminar leaves you with handy forms, intervention tools, and the knowledge you need to differentiate behavioral issues from sensory ones. You learn to use a combination of best-practice, evidence-based approaches to meet the needs of your most difficult clients.
- Understand the roles of neurochemicals in sensory processing and related diagnoses.
- Utilize a method of behavior analysis to develop a comprehensive treatment plan.
- Develop a whole-brain approach to the management of difficult behaviors.
- Recognize current cognitive and behavioral approaches and understand how to integrate these with a sensory frame of reference.
- Create BrainWorks visual sensory diet tools to support children and teens in their daily environments.
- Collaborate with other professionals to develop a comprehensive treatment plan to address the most challenging behaviors.
Target Audience: introductory- to intermediate-level OTs, SLPs, PTs, BCBAs, counselors, teachers, and others
Course Instructor: Gwen Wild, MOT, OTR/L, is an experienced occupational therapist specializing in the treatment of children and adolescents diagnosed with autism and sensory processing disorders. Gwen is the owner of Sensational Brain LLC and creator of BrainWorks sensory diet tools. Gwen presents to audiences nationwide on topics related to sensory modulation. She lives in Galesburg, Michigan, with her husband and three teenage daughters.
- Financial: Gwen Wild is the owner of Sensational Brain LLC and receives proceeds from all sales. Gwen is receiving an honorarium from Southwest Cook County Cooperative Association for Special Education for this presentation.
- Nonfinancial: No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
This course is approved for 0.6 AOTA CEU or six contact hours under these Classification Codes: Category 2, OT Process: Evaluation and OT Process: Intervention.
This course is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
- For refunds and returns information, click here: https://goo.gl/ZxYd9Q
- For continuing education policies and procedures, course completion requirements, special needs request, complaint policy, and more, click here: https://goo.gl/bTmL1Q
Please email email@example.com with any questions.