Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
Adverse childhood experiences can elicit or exacerbate a wide array of repercussions across an individual’s lifespan. For instance, the consequences of ACEs can seriously harm a child’s cognitive, behavioral, emotional, social, learning, and physical health capabilities. Designed for professionals, this 2-hour training provides attendees with a working understanding of the definitions, causes, and consequences of ACEs. Implications for screening, intervention, and prevention are highlighted. This includes the identification of practical tips, strategies, and solutions that can be utilized with children and adolescents impacted by ACEs. Attendees examine the impact of prenatal trauma on overall child development during a special subsection of the training. Other topics covered include complex trauma, toxic stress, attachment issues, executive function impairments, sleep disturbances, self-regulation problems, theory of mind (ToM) limitations, language development issues, mental illness, hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal (HPA) axis dysregulation, and resilience and trauma-informed care practices. Empirically-based research findings and case study examples are emphasized throughout this training.
- Define adverse childhood experiences, complex trauma, and toxic stress.
- Identify risk factors, warning signs, and red flag indicators of prenatal and early life trauma exposure.
- Delineate the role of co-occurring psychiatric, substance use, medical, and cognitive disorders among persons impacted by ACEs.
- Recognize how exposure to early life traumatic experiences contributes to executive function limitations, attachment disruptions, sleep disturbances, Theory of Mind (ToM) deficits, language problems, and HPA-Axis dysregulation.
- Describe appropriate screening and intervention options for persons impacted by ACEs
Target Audience: introductory- to advanced-level, OTs, COTAs, and other pediatric professionals
Note: While many professionals may benefit from the course content, we can only guarantee acceptance of continuing education credit as described in the following CEU section.
Course Instructor: Jerrod Brown, PhD
Learning Assessment: Objective post-test
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Sensational Brain LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID# 01654. This distance-learning independent format is offered at 0.2 CEUs, Intermediate Level, OT Delivery Service. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures.
♦ Information on refunds and returns
♦ Continuing education policies and procedures, course completion requirements, special needs request, complaint policy, and more
♦ Questions? Email email@example.com.