Autism and Sleep Disturbances: Causes, consequences, and interventions
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by social-emotional issues, communication deficits, and repetitive behaviors. Complicating matters, many individuals diagnosed with ASD also suffer at least one other disorder. Perhaps the most common comorbid issue in children with autism is sleep problems (e.g., issues falling and staying asleep). When left untreated, sleep problems can plague children with autism into adulthood, resulting in pernicious school, work, and social outcomes.
Designed for professionals, this 2-hour training provides attendees with a working understanding of the causes, consequences, and interventions associated with sleep disturbances among persons diagnosed with autism. Special emphasis is placed on implications for screening, intake, treatment, and discharge planning throughout this training. Other related topics are also discussed throughout this training. Case studies and professional observations are highlighted throughout to enhance attendee learning outcomes.
- Develop a working knowledge of autism and its signs and symptoms.
- Identify the risk factors, warning signs, and red flag indicators of sleep disturbances among persons with autism.
- Delineate the role of co-occurring psychiatric, substance use, medical, and cognitive disorders among persons with autism and its impact on sleep health.
- Describe appropriate screening and intervention options for persons with autism and sleep disturbances.
- Identify the latest research findings pertaining to the topic of autism and sleep disturbances.
Target Audience: introductory- to intermediate-level OTs and other professionals
Note: While many professionals may benefit from the course content, we can only guarantee acceptance of continuing education credit as described in the following CEU section.
Course Instructor: Jerrod Brown, PhD
Learning Assessment: Objective post-test
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Sensational Brain LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID# 01848. This distance-learning independent format is offered at 0.2 CEUs, Intermediate Level, OT Delivery Service. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures.
♦ Information on refunds and returns
♦ Continuing education policies and procedures, course completion requirements, special needs request, complaint policy, and more
♦ Questions? Email email@example.com.