Fine Motor and UE Gross Motor Treatment Interventions
New Series: Treatment Interventions for Pediatric OTs
In this 4-hour webinar, participants explore motor learning principles, typical fine motor developmental milestones, and gradation techniques for over 300 pediatric treatment ideas to improve functional performance in daily activities. The presenter addresses a variety of fine motor skills, including finger isolation, thumb opposition, force modulation, pencil grasp, handwriting development (i.e., sizing, spacing, and alignment), and cutting development. Additionally, gross motor treatment intervention strategies include forearm supination, wrist deviation, wrist extension, bilateral coordination (symmetrical, reciprocal, and asymmetrical), and crossing midline. Participants leave with a plethora of new, functional treatment intervention activities to implement immediately into practice. The first course in Emily’s series is OT Treatment Interventions for Self-Care Skills.
- Describe the use of forward and backward chaining for the breakdown of fine motor skill development toward more patient-centered practice.
- List ways to grade a treatment task up or down to further facilitate motor skill development.
- Describe three variations of skill practice opportunities using play to increase client participation and success.
- Identify upper extremity gross motor skills that are appropriate for home exercise programs within natural environments.
- List novel treatment activities for gross motor skill development.
- Identify age-appropriate activities for a given case study, focusing on the following gross motor skills (supination, wrist extension, bilateral coordination, and crossing midline).
- Target Audience: introductory- to intermediate-level OTs and COTAs
Note: While many professionals may benefit from the course content, we can only guarantee acceptance of continuing education credit as described in the following CEU section.
- View Agenda
- Course Instructor: Emily Bourque, MS, OTR/L
- CE Broker course code: 20-934020
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)