Functional Treatment Strategies to Support Self-Regulation and Executive Functioning Skills in Children
New Series: Treatment Interventions for Pediatric OTs
This 4-hour course explores the typical development of self-regulation and executive functioning, functional use of each skill area within daily routine tasks, and over 100 different play-based treatment ideas to build self-regulation and executive functioning skills. Self-regulation areas of focus include parent education, exploration of self-regulation programs, and teaching self-regulation strategies. Executive function areas explored include situational awareness, temporal spatial capacity/window, nonverbal working memory, if . . . then conditional thinking, time awareness, inhibition/impulse control, self-monitoring, emotional control, initiation, shifting attention, working memory, planning/organizing, task monitoring, organization of materials, problem solving, and attention (with focus on divided attention and sustained attention). Parent handouts for each skill area are included to increase knowledge about using each area throughout our daily functional routine to increase organic practice opportunities for children! Other courses in this series include OT Treatment Interventions for Self-Care Skills and Fine Motor and UE Gross Motor Treatment Interventions.
- Identify three options for self-regulation programming and list appropriate patient levels.
- List five reasons that a child might be dysregulated.
- Identify how modeling supports child acquisition of self-regulation skills.
- Recognize one moment within daily routine tasks that executive function skills are utilized.
- Identify nonverbal working memory at play within executive function skill development.
- List one treatment strategy for a specific area of executive function development that incorporates play and client interest.
- Target Audience: introductory- to intermediate-level OTs and COTAs
Note: While many professionals may benefit from the course content, we can only guarantee acceptance of continuing education credit as described in the following CEU section.
- View Agenda
- Course Instructor: Emily Bourque, MS, OTR/L, CBIS
- CE Broker course code: 20-928563