Motor Labs and Sensory Paths
Every year, students exhibit increased challenges in motor skills, attention, visual skills, and behavior. Research also indicates an increase in childhood obesity. The addition of school-wide movement initiatives, such as motor labs and sensory paths, can promote healthy school climates needed for learning. School-based occupational therapists have the expertise to increase participation in school routines and design programs to improve function and inclusion. It is their responsibility to collaborate with a variety of school partners to support student success and contribute to both general and special education. This course reviews the research to encourage using these school-wide movement initiatives. It also provides specific strategies for adding motor labs and sensory paths into your school environment.
- List examples of school-wide movement initiatives.
- Recognize the difference between a motor lab and a sensory path.
- Describe the essential components of a motor lab.
- Identify options for designing a sensory path.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
||Sensational Brain LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Approved Provider #8215. This course is approved for 0.2 AOTA CEUs or two contact hours under this Classification Code: Category 2, OT Therapy Process: Intervention. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Kim Wiggins, OTR/L, is an experienced occupational therapist specializing in the treatment of children since 2001. She is a full-time therapist at a City School District in upstate New York, owner of www.OTKimWiggins.com, and has been a nationally known speaker since 2011. Kim is certified in Mobile Devices for Children with Disabilities, Puzzle Art Therapy, Handwriting Without Tears, Zaner Bloser, The Size Matters Handwriting Program, The Listening Program, and as an Irlen Screener. To view Kim’s courses, check out her product page.
- Financial: Kim Wiggins receives a speaking fee from Sensational Brain LLC and is the owner of OTKimWiggins LLC. Kim is an affiliate for these companies and receives a percentage of profits from her referrals for these webinars:
- Double Time Docs (https://www.doubletimedocs.com): A Collaboration Sensation and Get It Done! OT documentation
- Move Thrive Play (https://www.moveplaythrive.com): Primitive Reflexes
- SpedNotes (a free program until August 2020, https://www.spednote.com/): Get It Done! OT documentation and Writing IEP Goals
- Nonfinancial: No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.