Pediatric Hand Skills: A Comprehensive Overview to Guide OT Interventions
Fine motor skills are essential for all aspects of a child’s life and often a key area of intervention for Pediatric OT. However, the multifaceted nature of the complexities in hand skill development can make it difficult to assess and design effective interventions for optimal success. This 2-hour course provides foundational knowledge of pediatric hand development by creating a distinction between typical/atypical fine motor patterns and offers valuable insight to the component skills required to optimize function. This course also offers a review of evaluation strategies and standardized testing options with additional insight on ways to collect baseline data for data-based decision making. A valuable, step-by-step method of using task analysis and goal setting to address fine motor skill development is included for everyday activities performed by children.
- Label the anatomy and physiology, including contextual factors and body functions influential in pediatric hand skill development.
- Identify typical patterns and classification of fine motor skills development.
- State the component skills required to develop hand skills in children to perform ADLs.
- List motor problems and other limiting factors that affect hand skill development.
- Explain various standardized and nonstandardized assessments to evaluate hand skills in children.
- List research-based guidelines for intervention.
Target Audience: introductory-level OTs and COTAs
Note: While many professionals may benefit from the course content, we can only guarantee acceptance of continuing education credit as described in the following CEU section.
Course Instructor: Aditi Mehra, DHSc, OTR/L
Learning Assessment: Objective post-test
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Certificates Immediately Available!
Sensational Brain LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID# 02160. This distance-learning, independent format is offered at 0.2 CEUs, Introductory level, OT Delivery Service. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures.
♦ Information on refunds and returns
♦ Continuing education policies and procedures, course completion requirements, special needs request, complaint policy, and more
♦ Questions? Email email@example.com.