Solving the Handwriting Puzzle: A Structured Handwriting Program That Focuses on Building the Student’s Skill and Confidence with Handwriting
Solving the Handwriting Puzzle program follows AOTA’s best practices and empowers students to evaluate their handwriting with the “I am the teacher” step. During the first half of this 2.5-hour course, participants learn cognitive engagement strategies to change negative motor patterns and create new functional motor patterns. This step-by-step approach provides clear expectations for students, so they can make the changes they need to improve their handwriting.
The second half of this course addresses common issues associated with handwriting, such as copying from the board, directionality, pressure, and hand dominance. In this section, the presenter explores common underlying deficits that affect these areas and provides treatment strategies for improvement.
- Identify four ways to cognitively engage students in the handwriting process.
- List five steps to improve handwriting quality.
- Describe how to address handwriting pressure.
- List at least two treatment strategies to address lack of hand dominance.
- Target Audience: introductory- to intermediate-level OTs, COTAs, teachers, and parents
- Course Instructor: Karin H. Warner, MOT, OTR/L
- View Agenda
- CE Broker course code: 20-994546
- Learning Assessment: Objective post-test