When It Isn’t Sensory: An OT’s Guide to the Impact of Executive Function Skills on Academic Performance
When children struggle to make academic gains, it is often challenging to pinpoint the primary cause. While many professionals view attention, impulse control, and emotional regulation through the lens of sensory processing, these areas also are foundational to the executive functioning system. This fast-paced, 1-hour course offers tips for separating sensory from executive functioning (EF) and examines precisely how weak EF systems can affect academic skill acquisition. Key areas of concern are addressed, and strategies are provided.
- Discern sensory processing from EF challenges.
- Identify how key EF weaknesses affect reading, writing, and math.
- Develop simple, effective strategies for helping students succeed in their academic settings.
- Target Audience: intermediate- to advanced-level OTs, teachers, and other professionals
- Course Instructor: Lori Benson Adams, MEd
- View Agenda
- CE Broker course code: 20-639251