Childhood Anxiety: What it is and how to address it
Many professionals agree there is a current assault on children and the health of their developing brains. Excessive use of technology, increased academic expectations, and faster-paced lives are just a few of the theories that anxiety disorders are now the most common and chronic emotional condition diagnosed in the United States. This 1.5-hour webinar provides participants with a critically needed understanding of the rise of this condition, how to discern typical childhood anxiety from disorders of anxiety, and provides tools to use immediately with children and share with teachers and parents.
- Identify differences between typical childhood emotions and anxiety that interrupts childhood development.
- Analyze current research on the growing number of young children and teens receiving a diagnosis of anxiety disorder, as well as those slipping through the cracks.
- Examine theories on the rise of childhood anxiety disorders.
- Explain stress and anxiety from a neurological perspective (hippocampus, amygdala, hypothalamus, etc.) in easy-to-understand terms.
- Identify brain-based strategies such as mindfulness, growth-mindset, and positive psychology to assist children in regulating their emotional states.
Target Audience: intermediate- to advanced-level OTs, SLPs, teachers, and others
Course Instructor: Lori Benson Adams, MEd, is an educational intervention specialist and owner of Breakthrough Learning Solutions in Atlanta, Georgia. With over 35 years of experience with students experiencing sensory, learning, behavioral, and executive function challenges, Lori presents nationally to audiences of parents, therapists, and educators. She is known for her immediately practical information and wealth of knowledge and resources. Additional information can be found at www,breakthroughlearningsolutions.com.
- Financial: Lori Benson Adams receives a speaking fee from Sensational Brain LLC and is the owner of Breakthrough Learning Solutions and Learning Lotus.
- Nonfinancial: No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.
Post-Test: Before receiving a certificate, learners must take an objective post-test to demonstrate they acquired the learning outcomes. An attestation statement is included indicating the learner viewed the entire course and completed the post-test independently. A passing grade is ≥ 70%.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
This course is approved for 0.15 AOTA CEU/1.5 contact hours under these Classification Codes: Category 1, Domain of OT: Performance Skills; Category 2, OT Process: Intervention.
Sensational Brain LLC is an approved CE provider for the Alabama, Florida, and Georgia Boards of Occupational Therapy. Our CE Broker tracking number is 50-20546. This course code is 20-599817. CEUs are uploaded weekly. Please provide your license information with your post-test.
- For refunds and returns information, click here: https://goo.gl/ZxYd9Q
- For continuing education policies and procedures, course completion requirements, special needs request, complaint policy, and more, click here: https://goo.gl/bTmL1Q
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.