FOCUS! Skills and strategies to improve attention (6-hour course)
Every year there seems to be an increase in students with attention and behavior issues. There can be various underlying causes. This resource-filled, 6-hour course explains how improving basic developmental skills can significantly impact attention and motor skills. Topics covered include (1) explanations and strategies for visual perception; (2) a screening process, compensation techniques, and exercises for retained primitive reflexes; (3) classroom implementation strategies for the sensory system; and (4) the use of technology compensation techniques, including the use of iPads. These topics are also covered separately in courses titled Visual Perception, Primitive Reflexes, iPads in OT, and iPads in Handwriting. Overall, an abundance of strategies are provided, including over 50 apps that you can use the very next day!
- Describe visual perception strategies and exercises that can be done anywhere.
- Explain the primitive reflexes screening process for MORO, TLR, ATNR, spinal galant, and STNR.
- Provide compensation techniques for retained reflexes.
- Identify a treatment exercise for five most common reflexes.
- Utilize inexpensive sensory techniques for the classroom.
- Describe movement breaks to implement in classroom settings.
- Utilize effective strategies for using classroom mobile devices to gain and maintain attention spans.
- List three apps that can be used to compensate for poor handwriting skills.
Target Audience: introductory- to intermediate-level occupational therapists and other professionals
Course Instructor: Kim Wiggins, OT/L, is an experienced occupational therapist specializing in the treatment of children since 2001. She is a full-time therapist at a City School District in upstate New York, owner of www.OTKimWiggins.com, and has been a nationally known speaker since 2011. Kim is certified in Mobile Devices for Children with Disabilities, Puzzle Art Therapy, Handwriting Without Tears, Zaner Bloser, The listening Program, and as an Irlen Screener.
- Financial: Receives a speaking fee from Sensational Brain LLC and is the owner of listenWRITEshineBRIGHT.
- Nonfinancial: No relevant nonfinancial relationships exist.
Post-Test: Before receiving a certificate, learners must take an objective post-test to demonstrate they acquired the learning outcomes. An attestation statement is included indicating the learner viewed the entire course and completed the post-test independently. A passing grade is ≥ 70%.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Sensational Brain LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures.
This course is approved for 0.6 AOTA CEU or six contact hours under this Classification Code: Category 2, OT Process: Intervention.
Sensational Brain LLC is an approved CE provider for the Alabama, Florida, and Georgia Boards of Occupational Therapy. Our CE Broker tracking number is 50-20546. This course code is 20-593004. CEUs are uploaded weekly. Please provide your license information with your post-test.
- For refunds and returns information, click here: https://goo.gl/ZxYd9Q
- For continuing education policies and procedures, course completion requirements, special needs request, complaint policy, and more, click here: https://goo.gl/bTmL1Q
Please email email@example.com with any questions.