Sloppy Handwriting? Tips and Techniques to Improve Common Handwriting Problems
Even in this age of technology, students are writing for the majority of their day. Because of an increase in academic expectations, teachers often do not have enough time in their day to teach handwriting. Illegible handwriting can lead to poor grades, low motivation to complete written tasks, and behavior issues. Handwriting is meant to be an automatic skill, which means that kids should be able to think and write at the same time. This 2-hour webinar, updated with more recent research, includes inexpensive and simple adaptations and techniques that can be used in the classroom, home, or therapy. It will also include many FREE resources. This course is also available in an OT webinar package.
- Apply handwriting expectations per grade level.
- Access a free screening tool that can be used with all handwriting styles.
- Identify readiness skills for preschool-level children.
- Recognize strategies to develop or correct the 8 components of handwriting including (a) memory, (b) reversals, (c) placement on the line, (d) size, (e) starting position, (f) letter formation, (g) spacing, and (h) speed.
- Target Audience: introductory- to intermediate-level occupational therapists, teachers, and parents
- Course Instructor: Kim Wiggins, OTR/L
- View Agenda
- CE Broker course code: 20-593008
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
||Sensational Brain LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Approved Provider #8215. This course is approved for 0.2 AOTA CEU or two contact hours under this Classification Code: Category 2, OT Process: Intervention. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Kim Wiggins, OTR/L, is an experienced occupational therapist specializing in the treatment of children since 2001. She is a full-time therapist at a City School District in upstate New York, owner of www.OTKimWiggins.com, and has been a nationally known speaker since 2011. Kim is certified in Mobile Devices for Children with Disabilities, Puzzle Art Therapy, Handwriting Without Tears, Zaner Bloser, The Size Matters Handwriting Program, The Listening Program, and as an Irlen Screener. To view Kim’s courses, check out her product page.
- Financial: Kim Wiggins receives a speaking fee from Sensational Brain LLC and is the owner of OTKimWiggins LLC. Kim is an affiliate for these companies and receives a percentage of profits from her referrals for these webinars:
- Double Time Docs (https://www.doubletimedocs.com): A Collaboration Sensation and Get It Done! OT documentation
- Move Thrive Play (https://www.moveplaythrive.com): Primitive Reflexes
- SpedNotes (a free program until August 2020, https://www.spednote.com/): Get It Done! OT documentation and Writing IEP Goals
- Nonfinancial: No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.