Effective Sensory Diets: An Evidence-Based Approach
What’s the purpose of a sensory diet? Who needs a sensory diet? How do sensory activities affect the neurochemicals in the brain? How often should sensory breaks be provided? What sensory activities will be beneficial for this child? Which behaviors are most likely to be impacted through the use of a sensory diet? Are sensory diets research-based? This 2-hour course (formerly titled Sensory Diets 101) seeks to answer these very important questions! This course is included with the Pediatric OT Webinar Package.
- Identify four neurochemicals impacted by sensory activities.
- Recognize the three primary types of sensory modulation disorder.
- Discuss the recommended frequency and duration of sensory breaks.
- Select target behaviors most likely to be impacted by a sensory diet based on research available.
- Differentiate the use of calming, alerting, and just-right activities.
- Target Audience: introductory-level OTs/COTAs, PTs/PTAs, other professionals, and parents
- Course Instructor: Gwen Wild, MOT, OTR/L
- View Agenda
- CE Broker course code: 20-675902
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
||Sensational Brain LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Approved Provider #8215. This course is approved for 0.2 AOTA CEU or two contact hours under this Classification Code: Category 2, OT Process: Intervention. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Gwen Wild, MOT, OTR/L, is an experienced occupational therapist specializing in the treatment of children and adolescents diagnosed with autism and sensory processing disorders. Gwen is the creator of BrainWorks sensory diet tools. Although selling the business in October 2020, she remains with Sensational Brain as the AOTA CE Administrator. She currently works as an Intensive Support Specialist for a large educational service agency. Gwen presents to audiences nationwide on topics related to sensory modulation and self-regulation. She lives in Galesburg, Michigan, with her husband and will soon have an empty nest as her three daughters venture out on their own. Learn more about Gwen’s mission and why she created BrainWorks on our About page. To view Gwen’s courses, check out her product page.
- Financial: Gwen Wild receives compensation for her responsibilities as CE administrator for AOTA as well as speaking fees from Sensational Brain LLC. Gwen is co-author of Just Right! A Sensory Modulation Curriculum for K-5®.
- Nonfinancial: No relevant nonfinancial relationship exists.